Friday 22 November 2013

Deus Bike Build-Off

Plenty of fruit and nut bikes were produced for the Deus build-off. Here is 'the peoples choice' top 20.
This (below) is Shannon Snows 8th placed XT200 mongrel.
My bike started life as an early 80's Yamaha mono shock dirt bike frame that I found on Craigslist for free, it also came with an unknown bultaco gas tank. The engine is a 82 Yamaha XT200 for $300. I rode the bike up and down the street twice, then promptly pulled the motor. I had to hack, weld and shoehorn the motor into the 2 stroke frame. I modified the rear swing arm and frame to accept an R6 shock that I paid $20 for. I cut about a foot off the front forks and springs. Not having a lathe to re-thread the tube, I drilled and tapped the caps for pipe plugs and then welded the caps to the fork tubes. I added mountain bike shocks as helper springs to stiffen the front end, which gave my bike it's iconic face. The light is a Piaa fog light . The handle bars are mini apes flipped. The seat foam came from a Kawasaki 440ltd. My mother in law did the appolstry. I made the tail from a stainless steel bowl from Walmart. The ignition module and regulator are housed inside. The paint is spray paint, not quite as nice as I would have liked but just ran out if time! I did it all in my garage for under $600. Hauled it 1000 miles in my 93 ranger and had a blast through the whole process!! Thanks Deus for putting in such a great event!!
But Lincoln Black's - 19th placed Suzuki GS125 (above) is my flavor fave. BP

3 comments:

Marcus @ MarcusMotoDesign said...

Love it! Very cool style!

Nick said...

Love them both, but the top one has it for me

casey him said...

love it! i wanna ride the gs down some stairs...