Sunday 26 January 2014

Hi-Tech No-Tech

Socks will still function with a few holes (and I'm not much of a darner), Computers not so well. I wrung the last KB of memory out of my old G5 Apple Mac, just managing a final re-boot to salvage my iTunes, before it completely blacked out two years ago. An up-grade to my wife's hand-me-down MiniMac was welcome, but after a new hard-drive transplant didn't exactly put a spring back in its step, I went back to the trendy Apple Store and was told by a yoof it was "vintage" and they wouldn't touch it - 2006 vintage!?
Desperately gasping for the last 4GB of breathing space to finish off producing SB#16, was akin to the Staw Wars Garbage Compactor 3263827 scene, but even with constant re-starting even C3PO wasn't going to be able to save me and it kept crashing. So I've bought a new MiniMac.
Even the basic model has warehouse spacious 500GB. As Western Computers where I bought it, offers a to dispose of space junk I took them the weighty G5 that was gathering dust under the stairs, but concerned with personal security I asked if they could somehow zap it sterile, just incase the NSA could still read the dead hard-drive, otherwise I would take it home and hit it with a sledge hammer. "We can do that, and give you the hard-drive as proof" They informed me. I presumed they meant zapping, so I was surprised when I heard a WHACK-WHACK-THUD from the back room and they reappeared with a dented metal box.
When I got home I gave it a few extra, most satisfying, sadistic blows. BP

6 comments:

Star Twin Motors said...

If 2006 is vintage , we're pre-historic!

Hairy Larry said...

You can always grab the magnets out of it for your fridge...

theoneandonlymin said...

Viking Funeral

theoneandonlymin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I taught a printer the error of its ways using a big axe, jeez it felt good.

Paolo said...

Months ago I was answered by a sick-looking Apple tech that my 2008 G5 was "end of life".
What scared me was his side expression, meaning «I was» end of life along with it.